You know yourself, right? There are good parts, less-good parts, creative and dull parts. To write that book, though, you need to know yourself even better. This inviting, interactive module mixes humor with poignancy to provide guidance in embracing your messy, authentic self before undertaking the redemptive and lucrative process of writing a life-inspired novel. This grounding is a crucial early step in learning to write the book you're meant to write. This module can either be completed as a standalone course or as the second of ten modules in the Rewrite Your Life program.
This module includes:
- A video overview of the module
- A narrated lecture which combines science with anecdotes to prove the necessity of self-awareness to writing
- The Truth Before Tale exercise, a 3-step activity designed to deepen your self-awareness, ground you, and further refine the focus of the book you'll be writing
- Supplemental articles on the importance of self-awareness to writing well
- A discussion area for you to interact with classmates to your comfort level
OPTIONAL: Check out the Rewrite Your Life companion book, available through your local library or wherever books are sold.
Jessica (Jess) Lourey teaches, travels, and writes about secrets.
She's the bestselling Lefty, Agatha, and Anthony-nominated author of nonfiction, YA adventure, magical realism, suspense, and thrillers. Jess is a tenured professor of writing and sociology, a recipient of The Loft's Excellence in Teaching fellowship, a Psychology Today blogger, a leader of writing retreats, and a TEDx presenter. Check out her TEDx Talk to discover the surprising inspiration behind May Day, her first published novel.
In addition to her online courses, she teaches face-to-face writing workshops for all and leads transformative writing retreats for women. When not traveling, read, writing, or hanging out with her family, you can find her dreaming of her next story. Rewrite Your Life is the optional companion book for her online courses.