You know yourself, right? There are good parts, less-good parts, creative and dull parts. To write that book, though, you need to know yourself even better. This inviting, interactive module mixes humor with poignancy to provide guidance in embracing your messy, authentic self before undertaking the redemptive and lucrative process of writing a life-inspired novel. This grounding is a crucial early step in learning to write the book you're meant to write. This module can either be completed as a standalone course or as the second of ten modules in the Rewrite Your Life program.
This module includes:
- A video overview of the module
- A narrated lecture which combines science with anecdotes to prove the necessity of self-awareness to writing
- The Truth Before Tale exercise, a 3-step activity designed to deepen your self-awareness, ground you, and further refine the focus of the book you'll be writing
- Supplemental articles on the importance of self-awareness to writing well
- A discussion area for you to interact with classmates to your comfort level
OPTIONAL: Check out the Rewrite Your Life companion book, available through your local library or wherever books are sold.
Jess Lourey (rhymes with "dowry") writes about secrets.
She's best known for her critically-acclaimed, humorous Mira James mysteries, which she began writing to recover from her husband's suicide. The series has earned multiple starred reviews from Library Journal and Booklist, the latter calling her writing "a splendid mix of humor and suspense." Jess also writes YA adventure, magical realism, and feminist thrillers.
She is a tenured professor of creative writing and sociology and a recipient of The Loft's Excellence in Teaching fellowship. She delivered the Rewrite Your Life TEDx Talk and leads transformative writing workshops all over the world. When not traveling, read, writing, or hanging out with her family, you can find her dreaming of her next story. Her Rewrite Your Life: Discover Your Truth Through the Healing Power of Fiction is the optional companion book for this course.